Tanglewood Island - Fox Island's 'Lighthouse'
Tanglewood Island 'Great Hall' Demolished
The 'Great Hall' of the Tanglewood Island's Lighthouse, just
four days before demolition began on January 24, 2014.
2/1/14: Work has stopped, due to a lack of proper permitting
on the demolition, the County has issued a stop work order.
1/27/14: Fox Island -
After standing since 1947, the most-photographed landmark of the Fox Island
area was demolished, due to rotting wood, foundation damage due to tidal
erosion and neglect. Ownership issues over the years prevented timely
upkeep of the building, the top of the lighthouse has been missing since
2004, and the main structure fell to the wrecking ball on January 24, 2014.
Want to keep informed about Fox Island happenings?
Join our FoxIslandNews
Read more, and see photos of the demolition on the
FoxIslandNews Facebook Page
News Tribune Article:
Property Owners Defy County, reduce Tanglewood Island icon to rubble
The Lighthouse and Great Hall during its better days, as
photographed by John Ohlson on August 25, 2002
Fox Island's 'Lighthouse' is a non-functioning lighthouse that at one
time was Dr Schultz's office and infirmary and residence/office of a camp
director. It is located on Tanglewood Island, a
privately owned island next to Fox Island. The lighthouse was repainted as a Boy Scout
Eagle service project some years
The 'Fox Island Lighthouse' was built by a Dr. Alfred L. Schultz in 1947.
He purchased the land for $8000 in 1933, and later he constructed a boys camp
called 'Ta-Ha-Do-Wa' on what was then known as Graves Island (another whole story).
It was renamed to Tanglewood Island in 1947.
|The Island now called Tanglewood changed names when the camp was built. The lighthouse was
lit for a while, but was never used as a navigation aid.
Dr. Schultz used it for his office for the boys camp and as a dormitory for the camp
counselor's, as well as an infirmary for the camp. It was nice adjunct to a first class boy's camp.
Camp Ta-Ha-Do-Wa Artifacts
These long lost artifacts from Camp Ta-Ha-Do-Wa in the 1960's include the
application form, Master Plan and Daily Schedule. Thanks to
former campers Clint Walker and Steve Lockitch for this look back into the history of Tanglewood
Island's beginnings as a youth camp for boys.
A full copy of the 30 page
Camp Ta-Ha-Do-Wa Guide Book for 'Particular Parents' from 1957 may be found
Tanglewood was at one time an Indian Burial Ground. The Indians buried
their dead in two ways. One, by placing them in canoes together with their
possessions and lashing the canoe high off the ground between two trees; the
other method, was to bury them in shallow graves, again, together with their
To the Indians, a burial ground was a sacred place to be treated with great
respect. A remote area such as Tanglewood was used so that it could easily be
avoided. Unfortunately, to our knowledge, Tanglewood Island is no longer
available for parties or rentals. It is somehow tied into the county and zoning
and health and other regulations. What we recommend is that you get hold
of the Chapel by the Bay and have it there. It is
just as picturesque and much more accessible and you can actually see Tanglewood
Island from the Chapel.
Tanglewood Island Campfire Stories:
Steve Lockitch, a camper at Camp Ta-Ha-Do-Wa in the 1950's,
relates this story, that was told around the campfire:
Every year we would all get together for a big all
camp campfire, on one end of the island called "Dead Man's Point", and
toast marshmallows and then tell this story:
When the island was first founded, there were three
friendly Indian tribes called the Owahs, the Tagos, and the Siams.
Well they were so friendly, they intermarried and had kids. Soon enough
they lost their identities and could no longer be called the Owahs,
Tagos, or the Siams. This was a big problem so the leaders of the 3
tribes went out in the woods to decide what to call their combined
When they came back, they announced they finally came
up with a name to honor all 3 tribes so they called a campfire of all
the tribe folks and announced the new name was "Owah-tago-siam". Well,
everyone was so thrilled that they all started to chant the name faster
and faster. Well, all us campers were all chanting owahtagosaim faster
and faster when the older campers, who knew what was coming, stopped and
the new campers were left chanting what become "oh what a goose I am"!
For more information about the history of Tanglewood Island, you may want to
visit the Fox Island Museum. They are located at: 1017
9th Avenue, Fox Island.
Their phone number is 549-2461
Website: Fox Island Historical Society